Software Developer, Geekyants
About the session
How I built Design System Builder!
Design System is a set of shared and integrated principles and patterns, to reduce redundancy and make standardised product that define the overall design of a product.
Why do we need design system?
- Maintaining their product is easy.
- Maintaining the team and other operations around product is standardised in terms for development and design.
- to save time in development processes
Benefits of having a design system:
- Promotes consitency.
- High efficiency
- Easy updation
- Open for innovation of whole product.
- Good UX
What are the things that design system should include?
- brand values, brand identity, components, patterns, assets, etc.
While building a design system creating tool, there was a huge learning in terms of how a brand uses the design system, how their developers develop the product, how different designers design. The work was more of reasearch than actually developing the tool.
Following are the key learnings and points that I kept in mind:
1. There should be a balance between the restriction of customizibility and and following the design system rules.
2. How to make designing easy for UX.
3. Design sharability.
4. Ease of using the Design System created from the tool.
Design system is a very generic and vast term which solves designing and developing the product at the same time.
There should be a sync and a single truth of all the files needed to design and develop a product and design system definitely solves that. While creating a design system, design system can provide and steps and code snippets to build the same. While we get the design and code from a single source, the product looks more formalised and it saves a time for both developers and designers and the tool acts like a communication tool.
High level problems:
- Issues while designing it for different platform environments
- making it easy UX wise and more like a no code tool.
- Adding more complex components into a design system and then customizing them.
- Supporting third party library components in a design system works on a particular tech stack.
When and How to build a design system and use it efficiently?
The company needs to evaluate its growth and the scalability factor while going for the design system.
A design system is a good idea when the software product has a lot of screens and the design standards are unmatchable. A componany or a brand needs to evaluate the time and maintainability while choosing a design system idea.
If you are in the starting phase of the company:
It is better to start off with a low level design system that scales up with the product. IT will definitely cut off the design cost later.
If you are on the enterprise level:
The concerned team needs to judge the existing designs of the company and need to evaluate that it doesn't changes the originality of the product. The process needs to very systematic when opting for a design system at later stage but it will definitely result is fruitful results in a longer run.
23rd Sept, 2022
10:00 AM - 10:30 AM